We are big believers in the mind/body connection at ARC. Any given day of the week, you can find our therapists educating their clients on the importance of utilizing things like meditation, diet, and exercise as methods to counter their anxiety symptoms…and of course, they advocate drinking LOTS of water. We have ALL heard the reasons why staying hydrated is important, but it’s equally necessary to understand that making sure that you drink plenty of water each day (and begin as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning) is crucial for virtually every part of your body, including your mind. Here are our “Top Ten” reasons why you need to drink more water. I myself am a big fan of #8.
1. Water is the most essential nutrient for your body. It is essential for the metabolism of your stored fat. When the kidneys do not get enough water, it overloads the liver. The liver metabolizes fat, and it cannot do that if it does the kidney’s job too.
2. Drinking enough water helps avoid water retention. Water is responsible for 50 – 60% of your body weight. If you do not give your body enough water, it will retain it so as not to lose it.
3. Water helps maintain blood volume at its proper levels. This helps to maximize your immune system and lowers the risk of developing gall stones, kidney stones, and even certain types of cancer.
4. It helps transport oxygen, nutrients and waste in your body. For instance, excess salt is a possible reason for increased water retention. Drinking enough water helps your body get rid of excess salt, and helps move all that great fiber you eat (or should be eating) through your system.
5. Water curbs your hunger. It is easy to mistake thirst for hunger, so before you try to satisfy your hunger, try drinking a glass of water instead.
6. It is important for the regulation of body temperature. Since some of us live in places where the climate is hot and dry, we need to drink enough water to prevent muscle cramps and dehydration, which can make us feel cranky and tired.
7. Water makes up 85% of your brain mass. Drinking enough water will help increase your focus and concentration.
8. Water acts as a beauty product by keeping your skin blemish-free and firm.
9. Water is a lubricant for joints, between internal organs and anywhere else it is needed.
10. It is sugar-free and caffeine-free.
#anxietyresourcecenter #knowyourarc #drinkyourh20